Talking Books – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
We provide volume discounts for large orders. Please contact us for further details on this.
On a trip, you can use the earpiece to listen while in the car, on the bus, train or even an airplane (during the time allowed for using portable devices).
We can brand the Talking Books for individuals, organisations, politicians, government agencies, etc. The Talking Books can be used:
- As gift items
- As promotional items
- For Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) – e.g. “Adopt a School” initiatives
The Talking Book comes with a 1 Year Warranty. We also provide after sales support for the products beyond the warranty period.
We work with expert educators and linguists to produce the content of the Talking Books.
The Talking Book can bring the whole family together as they use one Talking Book to learn languages or as parents use it to teach their children.
Families can have as many packs as needed to enable members of the family learn languages and other subjects covered by the Talking Books (e.g. Mathematics, English, etc.) at their own pace. It can also be used as a medium for family bonding – where parents and kids can play games together with the Talking Books to help the children (who do not know the local language) to get excited about learning Igbo or Yoruba for example.
The Mavis Pen will give you an audible “low battery” message when it has about 10% of charge left. At this point, it is advisable to connect it to charge.
- Ease of Use: Anybody (literate or illiterate) can start using the Talking Book after a few minutes of first exposure. This has been tried and proven with kids in a rural community who have never gone to school.
- Power: The Mavis Pen (used with the Talking Book) uses very little power (less than 2.5Watts). This means it can also be recharged with very small, portable solar power modules.
- Portability: The Talking Book is very portable. The Mavis Pen can easily fit into a person’s pocket, purse or bag.
- Cost: The Talking Book is very cost effective compared to computer/tablet/smartphone based learning solutions.
The Mavis Pen can last several years and the longevity of the books will depend on handling. Please note that the pages of the book are sensitive to water and the product is not waterproof.
Parents who have young kids (3 years and below) can use the Talking Books to:
- read stories to them
- play music for them
- increase their vocabulary by tapping on pictures and letting them learn what they represent
- help them to start learning letters of the alphabet, words, numbers and simple sounds
- help them play games in the Talking Books
- generally help them to start learning how use the Talking Books and to cultivate the good habit of reading. When they are older, they will be able to use the Talking Book on their own.
As a parent, the Talking Book also gives you an opportunity to help your child learn as it simplifies things for you. Your child will appreciate the interest you are showing in his/her education. Need we add that giving a quality education to your child is one of the best things you can do for him or her.
With the Talking Books, you can reduce the number of teachers you can engage and still achieve better learning outcomes.
With the Talking Books, you can reduce the number of teachers you can engage and still achieve better learning outcomes.<
Both adults and children can use the Talking Books
We have a laid out structure for digitizing other languages (on demand) into the Talking Book format. Please contact us for details.
The Talking Books can also be used for:
- Learning in IDP Camps
- Mass Literacy Programmes
- Nomadic Education
- Health Education Programmes (in English and/or local languages)
- Agricultural Information Programmes (in English and/or local languages)
- Technical and Vocational Education
- Persons with Special Needs Education
Results from our Mavis Education Programme (MEP) Centre in a rural community here in Nigeria have shown Out-of-School Children using the Talking Books alone can achieve better learning outcomes in as little as six (6) weeks. This is hardly the same with children who have spent up to nine (9) months in a conventional school. Details can be provided on request.
- Languages: English, Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, French, Spanish, Arabic, etc.
- Mathematics, Science, Physics, Biology, etc.
- We will constantly be releasing various Talking Book versions covering subjects from Primary to Tertiary Education.
The product videos are on our website (maviseducation.com). You can also see the product live at our office in Abuja or at any of our reseller locations. See the contact page for the locations and contact information.
Current users of the Talking Books include:
- Private Schools
- Homes in Nigeria and abroad
- Military (Nigerian Army and Nigerian Air Force)
- Rural Communities – At our Mavis Education Programme (MEP) Centre
The Talking Books gives most of the advantages of online learning offline – without the distractions, high bandwidth/streaming costs, Internet availability issues (especially in Nigeria and many other countries)